Calling all chocolate lovers! These rich double chocolate muffins are made of a moist chocolate batter sprinkled with more chocolate chips. A delicious muffin to pair with your morning coffee or to enjoy as a snack!
Why we love these double chocolate muffins
- easy to make: You don’t need a stand mixer to make these muffins. All you need is a whisk, rubber spatula, and a bowl.
- rich chocolate flavor: these muffins are a chocolate lover’s dream! With rich chocolate flavor and bites of melted chocolate chips, every bite is rich and satisfying.
- taste like a breakfast brownie: need I say more? These sweet muffins make a delicious pairing for your morning coffee!
Chocolate Muffins Ingredients
- all-purpose flour
- cocoa powder: use unsweetened cocoa powder for these muffins
- baking soda
- sour cream: the key ingredient in keeping these muffins moist
- whole milk
- unsalted butter: or substitute a neutral oil like vegetable oil or olive oil
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips: we used semi-sweet, but you can also substitute dark chocolate chips
How to make chocolate muffins
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: sugar, sour cream, milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Do not over mix, as this will result in dense dried out muffins. Fold in the chocolate chips using a rubber spatula.
Step 4: Line two muffin tins with liners and distribute the muffin batter. This recipe will make around 17 full sized muffins. Top the chocolate muffin batter with additional chocolate chips.
Step 5: Bake the double chocolate muffins at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake these as it will dry them out.
How to store these muffins
- in the refrigerator: store leftover chocolate muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- in the freezer: allow the muffins to cool completely, then store in an airtight bag in the freezer for 2 months.
Double Chocolate Muffins FAQs
Allow the muffins to cool completely, then store in an airtight bag or container in the freezer for 2 months.
This recipe will make around 34 mini muffins. Bake the mini muffins for 10-13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
To avoid dry muffins, be sure not to over mix the batter or bake too long. Both of these things can cause dense and dry muffins.
More Muffin Recipes you’ll love
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
- Mini Pancake Muffins
- Mini Blueberry Muffins
- Greek Yogurt Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Applesauce Muffins
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cane sugar, sour cream, milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined using a rubber spatula. Do not over mix
- Fold in the chocolate chips with the rubber spatula and do not over mix the batter
- Line muffin tins with parchment paper muffin liners (this will make about 17 full sized muffins) and distribute the muffin batter into the cups
- Top with additional semi sweet chocolate chips
- Bake the double chocolate muffins at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake as this will result in dry muffins
- Transfer muffins to a wire cooling rack to cool completely
Nutrition Information:Yield: 17 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!