This amazing vegan stuffing recipe is packed full of flavor and the perfect texture! A plant based recipe that is guaranteed to impress everyone this Thanksgiving. Simply substitute a loaf of your favorite gluten free bread and this stuffing is both gluten and dairy free!
Today I am sharing my ultimate favorite vegan stuffing recipe – perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas!
This Thanksgiving I decided to create a stuffing worthy of eating…a stuffing that didn’t taste like mush!
I have served this stuffing to family members who are meat eaters and everyone cannot believe how much flavor it has!
I have had so many people ask me for the recipe, so here it is.
It is one of the most delicious vegetarian thanksgiving recipes I have ever made.
I fell in love with this recipe, it is the perfect amount of texture while still moist.
It is not labor intensive at all, and the flavor is absolutely incredible!
How to make vegan stuffing for Thanksgiving
This delicious side dish starts off with a base of fresh garlic and onion, carrots, and celery.
Fresh vegetables add great texture and flavor to the stuffing.
Garlic and onion add a great base of flavor and I use so much of them every Thanksgiving.
Every year I try to prep ahead as much as I can for Thanksgiving before the big day.
The day before, I chop up the vegetables and put it in a ziploc bag in the fridge.
This will make your stuffing go so much faster the next day!
I’m all about making my life easier on Thanksgiving day.
Once you are ready to make your vegan stuffing, add the carrots, onion and celery to the pan.
Add in your vegan butter, salt and pepper, sage, thyme, oregano.
Cook around 10 minutes on medium high heat, until the vegetables start to soften, but are not mushy.
Cut your bread into cubes, and place on a baking sheet.
Dry roast in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, until it starts to brown.
Check often towards the end to avoid burning.
Toasting the bread before adding it to the stuffing keeps it from turning to total mush – that is key here!
how to make vegan gluten free stuffing
To make your stuffing gluten free, all you have to do is use a gluten free bread.
All of the other ingredients are naturally gluten free.
Once your bread is done roasting, add it to the skillet along with the vegetable stock.
Transfer the stuffing to a large baking dish, then dot the top with vegan butter.
Bake for around 30 minutes or so, until the top of the stuffing is golden brown.
This stuffing is also delicious reheated which is usually not the case for stuffing that I have had before.
Even just reheating it in the microwave it tastes great.
Ever since I first created this stuffing, I have made it every single year.
I’ve made it for years now and have no desire to even tweak the recipe.
I follow it exactly every year to guarantee it comes out perfect!
The spices in this recipe are key and sage really is the star of the dish.
“Just made this recipe for Thanksgiving and it was amazing! Thank you so much, definitely my favorite part of the Thanksgiving feast.” – Chelsea
Last year I served Thanksgiving dinner to my family and everyone raved about the dishes!
More vegan Thanksgiving Recipes
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Vegetarian Gravy Recipe (use vegan butter to make it vegan)
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Vegan Stuffing
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble (sub vegan milk and butter to make vegan)
- Cranberry Blueberry Crisp
- Mini Vegan Pumpkin Pies
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Best Vegan Stuffing Recipe
- 1 loaf of bread (14-16 slices)
- 1 heart of celery, diced (about 5 stalks)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, finely diced or minced
- 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground sage
- 1.5 teaspoons thyme
- 1.5 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter for topping
- Cut bread into cubes and crisp in the oven until slightly crunchy, about 10-15 minutes on 400 degrees (roast dry on a baking sheet)
- Combine diced celery, onion, carrots, garlic, 2 tablespoons of vegan butter, salt, sage, thyme, oregano, and pepper in a skillet.
- sautee until cooked through (about 10 minutes on medium heat)
- Add bread to skillet and stir well, add in veggie stock
- Taste to adjust seasonings if necessary
- Pour the vegan stuffing into a large glass baking dish (grease with vegan butter first)
- Dot the top of the stuffing with 2 tablespoons of vegan butter, cut into small cubes
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until desired texture (we prefer it more dry, but you could cook less for a more soft stuffing)
How to make vegan gluten free stuffing
To make this recipe gluten free, simply substitute a loaf of your favorite gluten free bread and make the rest of the recipe as written.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 802mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g