The best vegan apple crisp you’ll ever eat! Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. This easy vegan apple dessert comes together in just 15 minutes and is a fall must have.
Vegan apple crisp has become one of our most treasured fall favorite desserts.
We make it every year, and even our non vegan or vegetarian family members request this recipe!
This dairy free apple crisp is sure to please your family, and it comes together in just minutes.
Vegan Apple Crisp Ingredients
- apples: any type will do, but we like pink or red varieties.
- lemon juice: to help keep the apples from turning brown
- sugar: cane sugar or white sugar
- brown sugar
- corn starch: to thicken the apple crisp filling
- whole wheat flour: to make the crumbly oat crisp topping
- coconut oil
- vegan butter: earth balance is our favorite
- vegan ice cream, for topping: of course this is optional. But a scoop of creamy cold ice cream on top of warm apple crisp is simply the best!
How to make vegan apple crisp
Step 1: dice the apples into chunks and place in a large mixing bowl. You will need around 6 medium sized apples, or about 6 ½ cups worth of diced apples.
Step 2: Add the remaining filling ingredients to the same bowl as the apples: lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and corn starch. Give it a good stir and let it sit while you work on the crisp topping.
Step 3: While the apple filling marinates, prepare the crisp topping. Melt the butter and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl.
Stir together the melted butter and coconut oil with the remaining crisp topping ingredients: brown sugar, whole wheat flour, rolled oats, and salt. The mixture should resemble wet sand.
Step 4: Stir the apple crisp filling again, then pour into a greased baking dish. Any medium sized baking dish or pie plate will work well for this recipe. Distribute the apple crisp topping over the tops of the apples evenly.
Step 5: Bake the vegan apple crisp at 350 degrees for around an hour, until the apples are bubbly on the edges and the crisp topping has started to brown and crisp up.
Step 6: Allow the apple crisp to cool and rest for around 15 – 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
My very picky 17 year old vegan daughter made this recipe for us and it’s the best dessert we’ve ever tasted! Thanks for sharing! – Keri
This dairy free apple crisp inspired me to go on and create more fruit crisp recipes like Blueberry Crisp, Cranberry Blueberry Crisp, Cranberry Apple Crisp, Strawberry Crisp, and Vegan Blueberry Peach Crisp.
This recipe has restored my faith in the Internet. There is no better place to put your freshly-picked Honeycrisp apples than here. I was never into oats as a dessert ingredient, but this is a real game-changer, and *very* easy to assemble – Laura
The apple filling becomes bubbly and delicious and the crumble on top gets a little crisp on it towards the end.
The crisp topping is so deliciously addicting! So crunchy and the perfect complement to the melt in your mouth apples. The best dairy free comfort food dessert.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
For the filling:
- 6 medium apples, diced into chunks (about 6 ½ cups worth)
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
For the Topping:
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, melted
- Cut apples into chunks and place in a large bowl
- Add remaining filling ingredients to bowl (lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, sea salt, and corn starch) and toss with the apples until well combined
- In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients for the topping. Melt the coconut oil and vegan butter before adding to the mixture. The topping should resemble wet sand once mixed well
- Pour apple mixture into a pan (I used a 9" pie dish)
- Cover evenly with the topping
- Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes, or until the apples are bubbly and the top starts to brown
- Allow to cool/rest for 15-20 minutes before serving
- Serve alone or with (vegan) ice cream to keep it vegan!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 4gSugar: 34gProtein: 2g