The most delicious crispy potato casserole you’ll ever taste.
The best of vegan potato recipes!
This crowd pleasing side dish won’t have any leftovers.
This recipe I am sharing today is one of my all time most loved recipes.
Everyone goes crazy for it!
I am going to start off by saying I may be pushing those food blogger lingo rules by calling this famous crispy potato casserole a “casserole”, but stick with me here.
This dish is the perfect casserole to make for any family get together (or fancy weekend breakfast/brunch).
Anyone that knows me knows how much I love potatoes – they are just so versatile!
Vegan potato recipes
Case in point? All of these are vegan potato recipes on Build Your Bite!
- Simple Vegan Breakfast Hash
- Oven Baked Crispy Potato Rounds
- Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Baby Red Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- Easy Roasted Potatoes
- Vegan Smashed Potatoes with Maple Tempeh Bacon
Can you tell I love potatoes?!
Although I love potatoes in many forms, this Famous Crispy Potato Casserole is arguably my favorite potato recipe ever.
I make this recipe often for family get togethers or cookouts and it’s always a huge hit!
Everyone RAVES over it.
Just today I made it for lunch with eggs and it was amazing!
How to make Crispy Potato Casserole
First, dice up your russet potatoes and place them in a glass casserole dish.
Sprinkle on the thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and use your hands to toss them until the oil coats the potatoes.
Spread out the potatoes in an even layer to make sure that they cook evenly.
Roast at 425 degrees until potatoes are crispy on all sides, stirring and flipping every 15 – 20 minutes.
Pro tip: use a spatula every time to scrape up potatoes that stick to the dish.
This is where you get all those delicious crispy bits from!
The secret is in the depth of flavor you get from roasting the potatoes for hours.
The ingredients themselves are simple..but the real magic happens in the oven!
Once the potatoes are almost done cooking, make your garlic and onion mixture.
Dice up the fresh garlic and onion and add it to a skillet with a touch of olive oil.
Cook for 10 – 15 minutes , stirring often, until onions are caramelized and soft but not burned.
Once the potatoes are done, you will mix in the caramelized onion and garlic for extra flavor!
The goal is to get the potatoes as crispy as possible without burning.
You will take them out every 20ish minutes and scrape and stuck pieces from the bottom of the pan.
The easiest way to do this is to use a spatula upside down to scrape up any stuck potato edges.
I even use hash in my vegan breakfast burritos for crazy flavor!
At the end, you will have tender potatoes with crispy bits that just melt in your mouth.
I could literally eat this every week and never get sick of it!
And trust me…the cook time is so worth it. Just wait until you see how fast it will disappear when you make it!
I usually make a double batch when I take it anywhere. And there are no leftovers when I do!
If you make just one new recipe this week, try this!
Be sure to follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious vegan and vegetarian recipes!
Click HERE to pin this recipe for later!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Be sure to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe pictures!
Crispy Potato Casserole Recipe:
Famous Crispy Potato Casserole
This famous crispy potato casserole is a guaranteed crowd pleaser! The holy grail of vegan potato recipes!
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, diced into small chunks
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- scant 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely diced or minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Dice potatoes and place in a glass 13 X 9 pyrex baking dish
- Sprinkle potatoes with thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic and onion powder
- Pour on olive oil and toss the potatoes until spices and oil are well coated (it will be very oily - you will need the oil to help with roasting)
- Spread out potatoes into an even layer so that they cook evenly
- Roast potatoes at 425 degrees for around 1.5 hours, checking every 20 minutes
- Every 20 minutes, remove potatoes from oven and use a spatula to scrape any stuck pieces from the bottom of the pan and toss potatoes around.
- Cook for approximately 1.5 hours, or until potatoes are crispy and tender
- Once potatoes are almost done, dice up a yellow onion and 6 cloves of garlic
- Sautee onion and garlic with a touch of olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat
- Sautee for 10-15 minutes, or until caramelized and cooked down
- Once potatoes are finished cooking, transfer onion mixture to the dish with the potatoes and stir
- Serve and enjoy!
2. The potatoes will soften as they are out of the oven, but the flavor is insanely good! They reheat well, just keep in mind that they will be more crispy straight out of the oven.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!