Oven roasted potatoes and onions are an easy and classic side dish that everyone loves. Potatoes are always a favorite at our house, and I know these will be a favorite in yours too!
You will love Roasting Potatoes in Oven
Roasted potatoes are a great side dish to make and require just minutes to prepare.
These roasted potatoes with onion are full of flavor and cooked in the oven until they are the perfect texture with crispy edges.
You simply can’t go wrong with this simple yet so very flavorful dish!
I’m always game for potatoes, and this easy side dish is one of my new favorites!
We have all my favorites in this one – crispy baby potatoes, caramelized fresh onion, and garlic and thyme to really make all the flavors pop.
Serve these up as a dinner side, and save the leftovers to have as hash with your breakfast! This recipe is classic, delicious, and so easy to make.
With prep time of only a few minutes, you can sit back and let the oven do the rest of the work for you!
Ingredients to make Roasted Potatoes in the Oven
- Petite red potatoes
- garlic powder
- olive oil
Roasted Potato Recipe substitutions
You can make this recipe with any kind of potatoes. Baby or petite potatoes will need to be halved and any variety will work for this recipe.
You can also use russet potatoes, red potatoes, or any other large potato variety to make roasted potatoes. Just cut the potatoes into small uniform sized pieces so that they will cook evenly and crisp on the edges.
How to make Roasted Potatoes in Oven
- Preheat: set your oven to 425 degrees.
- Prep: Cut the potatoes into halves and dice the onion into chunks.
- Mix it up: Add the potatoes, onions, salt, thyme, garlic powder, pepper, and olive oil to a glass casserole baking dish. Use your hands to toss and combine the oil and spices into the potatoes and onions.
- Bake: Roast the potatoes and onions for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes, until crispy on the edges.
How do you make crispy potatoes?
To make your potatoes crispy, you need oil and around 45 minutes to an hour of roasting time. Be sure to use a pan large enough for the potatoes to be spread out in an even layer. This will ensure that each potato has the chance to get those crispy edges!
Bake the potatoes and onions at 425 degrees for around an hour, checking to flip and stir every 15 minutes or so. Each time you flip the potatoes, use a spatula to make sure any edges are scraped from the pan. This will help get the potatoes evenly cooked and crispy on more sides.
How to serve this Roasted Potato Recipe
- For breakfast: Serve these easy roasted potatoes with eggs and sausage or bacon.
- For dinner: Roasted potatoes in the oven are a great side dish to serve with your protein of choice and mixed vegetables or a side salad.
How to store Potatoes and Onions
- Store: store leftover roasted potatoes and onions in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: reheat the roasted potatoes in the air fryer or oven for the best texture and crispiness.
Roasted Potato Recipe FAQs
You should roast potatoes at a high temperature for best results. The high oven temperature helps get those delicious crispy edges on the roasted potatoes that make them so flavorful.
Size: if your potato pieces are too large, they will not be able to get crispy. Cut your potatoes into small uniform chunks before roasting them in the oven.
Oven temperature: a high heat is necessary for getting potatoes to have that crispy texture. If your oven is not hot enough your potatoes will not get crispy.
Pan: Make sure your baking dish is large enough that your potatoes can sit in an even layer. This will help ensure they cook properly and are not over crowded.
More Potato Recipes we love
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Baby Red Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Famous Crispy Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Hash
- Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges
More Recipes from Build Your Bite
- Veggie Stir Fry Recipe
- Mac N Cheese Instant Pot
- Tofu Taco Crumbles
- Roasted Cubed Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Vegetables Pasta
- Pecan Pie Bars with Shortbread Crust
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Potatoes and Onions Recipe
- 1 lb. petite red potatoes, halved (see notes)
- 1 onion, diced into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- up to ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Cut the baby potatoes into halves and dice the onion into chunks
- Add the potatoes, onions, salt, thyme, garlic powder, and pepper to a glass casserole dish
- Pour on the olive oil to coat (I used the full ¼ cup)
- Use your hands to toss and combine the oil and spices into the potatoes
- Roast the potatoes and onions for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 15 - 20 minutes,
until crispy on the edges.
My potatoes were very small, so I just halved them. If yours are a bit larger, you may want to quarter them to get smaller pieces (these crisp up better)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 435mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g