Mexican quinoa enchilada bake packed full of veggies and flavor.
Perfect healthy dinner to feed a crowd!
I used to be one of those people that didn’t want to hop on the quinoa wagon.
It was one of the latest superfoods that everyone was raving about, but I just didn’t get it.
Well, after I made the I understood the obsession, I was hooked!
Not only was it good for you but it actually tasted really good!
Quinoa is great for absorbing the flavors of whatever dish you are making.
It’s basically a healthier rice. I use it exactly the same as I would rice, making this recipe sort of similar to my vegetarian mexican rice casserole.
I absolutely love Mexican food so I couldn’t wait to experiment with a quinoa casserole!
Mexican food is a great and easy way to get protein as a vegetarian (quinoa + beans = tons of protein.)
This casserole makes a ton and usually lasts us at least 3-4 meals worth for my husband and I.
If you don’t like any spiciness at all, you can leave out the jalapeno pepper, but I like the little bit of zip that it adds.
I use lots of fresh garlic and onion for flavor (as usual.)
Fresh squeezed lime juice inside the casserole really accentuates all of the other flavors.
Robbie was actually the one to get me hooked on using fresh lime juice any time we made tacos, fajitas, nachos, etc.
He totally ruined me on it and now I have to have fresh lime every time! The flavor difference is incredible.
Serve this topped with sour cream and tortilla chips on the side for the perfect easy dinner.
If you love mexican recipes, here are some more of my favorites:
- Tofu Mexican Rice Casserole
- 5 Minute Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- Enchilada Tofu Burrito Bowls
- 30 Minute Vegan Portobello Fajitas
- Easy Vegan Taco Bake
- 30 Minute Sweet Potato Refried Bean Nachos
- Vegetarian Mexican Rice Casserole
- The Best Ever Veggie Enchiladas
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Be sure to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Click below to pin this Mexican Quinoa Enchilada Bake:
Quinoa Enchilada Bake Recipe:
- 1 and 1/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 large cloves of garlic, diced or finely minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 (10 oz) bag of frozen corn
- 16 oz of enchilada sauce
- 2 cans of black beans, drained
- 3 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Juice of 1 large lime, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- sea salt
- Sour cream, for serving
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Rinse quinoa and cook according to package instructions, set aside
- Remove seeds from jalapeno and dice finely
- Dice garlic, onion, and bell pepper
- Combine both peppers, garlic, onion, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt and pepper in a skillet
- Sautee on medium high heat, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, or until peppers start to soften
- Add frozen corn to skillet and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, skillet mixture, juice of 1 large lime, black beans (drained), enchilada sauce, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, and smoked paprika
- Stir well and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary (I did not add any)
- Transfer mixture to a 9 X 13 baking dish
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes
- Take casserole out of oven and add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese on top
- Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is is bubbly
- Serve with optional fresh lime juice, tortilla chips, and sour cream
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 744mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 17g