Cheesy Mexican quinoa enchilada casserole is a flavor packed gluten free dish that makes the perfect healthy dinner! Serve topped with sour cream and dip with tortilla chips.
This mexican quinoa casserole is made with fresh vegetables, hearty quinoa, and topped with mexican cheese.
Fresh lime and sour cream are perfect for serving with this dish.
You can’t go wrong with this flavorful healthy dinner recipe!
I used to be one of those people that didn’t want to hop on the quinoa wagon.
It was one of the latest superfoods that everyone was raving about, but I just didn’t get it.
Well, after I made the I understood the obsession, I was hooked!
Not only was it good for you but it actually tasted really good!
Quinoa is great for absorbing the flavors of whatever dish you are making.
It’s basically a healthier rice. I use it exactly the same as I would rice, making this recipe similar to my vegetarian mexican rice casserole.
I absolutely love Mexican food so I couldn’t wait to experiment with a quinoa casserole!
Mexican food is a great and easy way to get protein as a vegetarian (quinoa + beans = tons of protein.)
This casserole makes a ton and will make around 8 servings worth.
If you don’t like any spiciness at all, you can leave out the jalapeno pepper, but I like the little bit of spice that it adds.
I use lots of fresh garlic and onion for flavor.
Fresh squeezed lime juice inside the casserole really accentuates all of the other flavors.
Lime is a must have for taking Mexican flavored dishes to the next level.
Serve this topped with sour cream and tortilla chips on the side for the perfect easy dinner.
If you love mexican recipes, here are some more of my favorites:
- Tofu Mexican Rice Casserole
- 5 Minute Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- Enchilada Tofu Burrito Bowls
- 30 Minute Vegan Portobello Fajitas
- Easy Vegan Taco Bake
- 30 Minute Sweet Potato Refried Bean Nachos
- Vegetarian Mexican Rice Casserole
- The Best Ever Veggie Enchiladas
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 1 and 1/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10 oz) bag of frozen corn
- 16 oz enchilada sauce
- 2 cans of black beans, drained
- 3 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- diced roma tomatoes
- diced avocado
- sliced lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Rinse quinoa and cook according to package instructions, set aside
- Remove seeds from jalapeno and dice finely
- Dice garlic, onion, and bell pepper
- Combine the bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, onion, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a skillet
- Sautee on medium high heat, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, or until peppers start to soften
- Add frozen corn to skillet and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, skillet mixture, juice of 1 large lime, drained black beans, enchilada sauce, 1 1/2 cups of cheese, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, and smoked paprika
- Stir well and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary (I did not add any)
- Transfer mixture to a 9 X 13 baking dish
- Bake the quinoa enchilada casserole at 375 for 20 minutes
- Take casserole out of the oven and add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese on top
- Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is is bubbly
- Top with diced roma tomatoes and avocado. Serve with optional fresh lime juice, tortilla chips, and sour cream
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 744mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 17g