These sweet potato tacos are one of the best vegetarian recipes. Easily made gluten free and vegan too! This delicious healthy dinner can be served with any of your favorite toppings like pico de gallo, sour cream, and salsa.
These sweet potato tacos are full of smoky flavor and are so filling and delicious!
Sweet potatoes are one of my top picks for any mexican related recipes.
Sweet potatoes are perfect for vegetarian mexican recipes, because they are not only nutrient dense (and filling), but their sweetness contrasts perfectly with those smoky flavors and fresh zing-y lime juice.
I prefer to roast mine at super high heat to get some crispy edges.
This is key to getting the best flavor on your sweet potatoes!
Ingredients to make sweet potato tacos
- sweet potatoes: peeled and diced
- spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and chili powder
- olive oil
- fresh diced garlic and onion
- black beans
- fresh limes
- toppings of choice
Simple, and packed full of so much fresh flavor!
I buy sweet potatoes almost every week and love to roast them.
Gone are the days of my childhood where I only ate sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving.
I use them in so many recipes now!
how to make sweet potato tacos
Step 1: peel and dice your sweet potatoes into small chunks and place them in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Drizzle the sweet potatoes with olive oil and add the salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder.
Stir until the sweet potatoes are totally coated in oil and spices.
Step 3: Transfer the sweet potatoes to a rimmed baking sheet.
Edges are preferred to keep the sweet potatoes from falling off when it’s time to flip and stir them.
Roast the sweet potatoes at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes, flipping at least once, until the edges are browned.
Why to roast sweet potatoes at 450 degrees
They cook faster (only 30 minutes!)
The sweet potatoes get crispy edges which makes them taste so yummy.
Step 4: Add the garlic, onion, and olive oil to a large skillet.
Cook over medium high heat for 7 – 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
Step 5: Add the drained black beans, fresh squeezed lime juice, and cooked sweet potatoes and stir until heated through.
Taste and adjust salt or seasonings if necessary and you’re ready to serve your sweet potato tacos!
These tacos are plant based, simple, filling, and so flavorful. It’s going to be one of your favorite taco Tuesday dinners!
My personal favorite toppings for sweet potato tacos are sour cream, avocado, and fresh squeezed lime juice.
They add the perfect creamy and citrusy contrast to the smoky sweet black bean and sweet potato filling.
Every bite is so flavorful and delicious!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
You can’t go wrong with these black bean sweet potato tacos. Try these for taco night next week!
For the Sweet Potato Taco Filling
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small chunks
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- juice of 1 - 2 limes**
- soft taco shells
- fresh lime juice
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and place in a bowl
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and enough olive oil to coat (I used ¼ cup)
- Toss well to combine the spices and oil with the sweet potatoes
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a nonstick baking sheet and roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes
- Stir and flip potatoes, and roast an additional 10 - 15 minutes, until the edges are crispy
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, add the diced onion, minced garlic, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a large skillet
- Cook over medium high heat for 7 - 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent
- Add the drained black beans, lime juice, and cooked sweet potatoes and stir until heated through
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary
- Serve the sweet potato and black bean filling on soft taco shells
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro
- Add toppings of choice. We love sour cream, avocado, and fresh squeezed lime juice
- Use lime juice to your taste. I personally love lime juice, and used the juice of 2 whole limes for my filling
- Use vegan sour cream if you are dairy free
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 607mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 5g