These sweet potato tacos are one of the best vegetarian recipes. Easily made gluten free and vegan too! This delicious healthy dinner can be served with any of your favorite toppings like pico de gallo, sour cream, and salsa.
These sweet potato tacos are full of smoky flavor and are so filling and delicious!
Sweet potatoes are one of my top picks for any mexican related recipes.
Another favorite: Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas.
Sweet potatoes are perfect for vegetarian mexican recipes, because they are not only nutrient dense (and filling), but their sweetness contrasts perfectly with those smoky flavors and fresh zing-y lime juice.
I prefer to roast mine at super high heat to get some crispy edges.
Ingredients to make sweet potato tacos
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- black beans
- fresh limes
- toppings of choice
Simple, and packed full of so much fresh flavor!
I buy sweet potatoes almost every week and love to roast them.
Gone are the days of my childhood where I only ate sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving.
I had no idea what I was missing!
how to make sweet potato tacos
First, you’re going to peel and dice your sweet potatoes into small chunks.
Toss them with spices and olive oil, and transfer to a large nonstick baking sheet.
Edges are preferable, to keep the sweet potatoes from falling off when it’s time to flip and stir them.
Why to roast my sweet potatoes at 450 degrees
They cook faster (only 30 minutes!)
They get crispy edges (and texture is so important!)
Next, cook up some fresh garlic and onion, then add in your black beans, fresh lime juice, and roasted mexican sweet potatoes.
Scoop some of that yummy filling into soft taco shells and it’s time to eat!
Garnish tacos with chopped cilantro and toppings of choice.
Pico de gallo, sour cream, salsa would all be delicious.
Jarred jalapenos are also a great choice if you like that spicy sweet flavor combo!
Plant based, simple, filling, and flavorful.
More Mexican Recipes
- 5 Minute Homemade Refried Beans
- Vegan Queso
- Sweet Potato Refried Bean Nachos
- 5 Minute Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Portobello Fajitas
- Tofu Mexican Rice Casserole
- The Best Guacamole Recipe
- Vegan Quesadillas
- The Best Veggie Enchiladas
- Easy Vegan Taco Bake
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
For the Sweet Potato Taco Filling
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small chunks
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- juice of 1 - 2 limes**
- soft taco shells
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes and place in a bowl
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and enough olive oil to coat (I used ¼ cup)
- Toss well to combine
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a nonstick baking sheet and roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes
- Stir and flip potatoes, and roast an additional 10 - 15 minutes, until edges are crispy
- While potatoes are cooking, add diced onion, minced garlic, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a large skillet
- Cook on medium high heat for 7 - 10 minutes, until onion is soft
- Add black beans, lime juice, and cooked sweet potatoes and stir until heated through
- Taste and adjust seasonings (I didn't add any more seasoning)
- Serve filling on soft taco shells
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro
- Add toppings of choice (we like sour cream and salsa)
- Use lime juice to your taste. I personally love lime juice, and used the juice of 2 whole limes for my filling
- Use vegan sour cream if you are dairy free
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 599mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g