This easy orange tofu recipe is inspired by the popular chinese favorite orange chicken. Crispy bites of perfectly cooked tofu are paired with a delicious homemade sweet orange sauce.
This orange tofu is the vegan version of orange chicken, which was one of my favorite chinese takeout dishes to order growing up.
Homemade sticky sweet orange sauce coats chunks of ultra crispy tofu for a dinner that is sure to impress!
It took me four times to get this orange sauce right, but it was perfect with this tofu and I can’t wait to make orange cauliflower.
How to make orange tofu
First, drain the tofu, pat dry, and allow something heavy to sit on it for around 5 – 10 minutes to get out excess moisture.
Cut the tofu into cubes and place in the air fryer basket. Spray with olive oil spray.
If you have an air fryer, I highly recommend using it to always cook your tofu!
It was an absolute game changer for me, and the tofu is perfect every time with super crispy edges.
Cooking the tofu
Cook the tofu for around 30 minutes, checking 2 – 3 times, until crispy.
Add more olive oil spray as necessary.
If you do not have an air fryer to cook the tofu, check the recipe notes and I have included options for cooking the tofu both in the skillet or in the oven.
Making the orange sauce
While the tofu is cooking, make a batch of the orange sauce which will take around 15 minutes.
What is orange sauce made of?
This sweet sauce is made of orange juice, brown sugar, pure maple syrup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, minced garlic, and minced ginger.
Once the sauce is nice and thick, and the tofu is cooked and crispy, it’s time to bring it all together!
Add the tofu and orange sauce to a skillet and combine for 2 – 3 minutes.
Serve the tofu over sticky white rice and top with optional green onion and sesame seeds.
Salt to taste to avoid an overly salty dish.
My mouth is watering just thinking about how good this was!
For another delicious recipe, you’ve got to try my Orange Cauliflower too!
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes it is! This orange tofu is both vegan and gluten free.
Just be sure to use gluten free soy sauce.
More delicious stir fry recipes to try
- 3 Ingredient Stir Fry Sauce
- Ramen Noodle Stir Fry
- Stir Fry Vegetables
- Cabbage Stir Fry
- Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry
- Tofu Stir Fry Noodles
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Orange Tofu Recipe
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu
- 4 servings cooked white rice
- 1 batch of this orange sauce
- salt, to taste
- white sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- Drain tofu and place between kitchen towels with something heavy on top for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Cut tofu into cubes, and place in the air fryer basket.
- Spray tofu cubes with olive oil spray and cook at 400 degrees in the air fryer for 15 minutes.
- Shake or stir the tofu, spray again, and continue to cook another 10 - 15 minutes, until the air fryer tofu is crispy on all sides. Add more olive oil spray as necessary.
- While the tofu is cooking, make a batch of this homemade orange sauce.
- When the tofu is finished, add it to the orange sauce in a skillet and heat 2 - 3 minutes, until bubbly and coated.
- Serve orange tofu over white rice, and top with green onions and sesame seeds. Salt to taste.
Alternative ways to cook the tofu
If you do not have an air fryer, here are additional ways to cook the tofu.
- In a skillet: Once the tofu is pressed/diced, toss it with 1 - 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, or enough to coat the tofu. Then pan fry with olive oil until golden on all sides, around 20 or so minutes
- In the oven: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tofu cubes on it. Spray with olive oil spray and bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, flipping at least once, until desired crispiness is achieved.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 157mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g