This easy orange tofu recipe is inspired by the popular chinese favorite orange chicken. Crispy bites of perfectly cooked tofu are paired with a delicious homemade sweet orange sauce.
This orange tofu is the vegan version of orange chicken, which was one of my favorite chinese takeout dishes to order growing up.
Homemade sticky sweet orange sauce coats chunks of ultra crispy tofu for a dinner that is sure to impress!
It took me four times to get the orange sauce right, but it worth it for this tofu and this orange cauliflower.
Stir fry recipes are a big favorite in our house and once you try making takeout style food yourself you may never go back! Recipes like teriyaki tofu, ramen noodle stir fry, and stir fry vegetables have fast become favorite dinners.
Ingredients to make orange tofu
- extra firm tofu: drained and pressed to release the liquid
- sticky white rice: for serving
- orange sauce: we are using a super easy and delicious homemade recipe
- sesame seeds and green onions: for serving
How to make orange tofu
Step 1: drain the blocks of extra firm tofu, pat dry, and allow something heavy to sit on it for around 5 – 10 minutes to get out excess moisture.
Step 2: use a knife and cutting board to cut the tofu into cubes and place in a bowl.
Step 3: add 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch to the tofu. You just need enough to completely coat all edges of the tofu.
Stir and toss the tofu gently until it is completely coated in corn starch.
Step 4: Pan fry the tofu cubes in a skillet with enough olive oil to coat the skillet until golden brown on all sides, around 20 minutes or so.
Stir and flip the tofu often to get it crispy on all sides.
alternate ways to cook the tofu
- In an air fryer: (no cornstarch needed) . Spray your air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the tofu triangles inside, then spray the tops again with more spray. Air fry the tofu at 400 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes, checking to shake around every 5 minutes or so, until crispy
- In the oven: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tofu cubes on it. Spray with olive oil spray and bake at 400 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, flipping at least once, until desired crispiness is achieved.
Step 5: While the tofu is cooking, make a batch of the homemade orange sauce.
What is orange sauce made of?
This sweet sauce is made of orange juice, brown sugar, pure maple syrup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, minced garlic, and minced ginger.
This recipe is not only super easy, but so flavorful! We have used it for making orange chicken copycat recipes, and it would also be great as a sauce for stir fry veggies.
Step 6: Once the sauce is nice and thick, and the tofu is cooked and crispy, it’s time to bring it all together!
Add the tofu and orange sauce to a skillet and combine for 2 – 3 minutes until the tofu is bubbly and coated in sauce.
How to serve orange tofu
- serve over: sticky white rice, cauliflower rice, brown rice, ramen noodles, or brown rice noodles
- veggies: serve with broccoli, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, or veggies of choice for a complete meal
Salt to taste to avoid an overly salty dish.
My mouth is watering just thinking about how good this was!
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes it is! This orange tofu is both vegan and gluten free.
Just be sure to use gluten free soy sauce.
This vegan dinner tastes like a million bucks and is sure to become one of your favorite tofu recipes!
More delicious stir fry recipes to try
Just look at that crispy tofu inside! The outside of the tofu is so crispy and the inside is the perfect texture without being mushy.
Texture is so important when it comes to make tofu, and cooking it properly makes all the difference.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
This vegan gluten free dinner is so flavorful and crispy saucy tofu never disappoints! This is one of the best tofu dinner recipes.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Orange Tofu Recipe
This homemade orange tofu recipe is a delicious vegan dinner that rivals any takeout!
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu
- 4 servings cooked white rice
- 1 batch of this orange sauce
- salt, to taste
- white sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- Drain tofu and place between kitchen towels with something heavy on top for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, and place in a bowl
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch, or enough to coat the tofu. Stir gently to combine the tofu until coated with corn starch on all sides
- Pan fry the tofu in a skillet with enough olive oil to coat the skillet until golden brown on all sides, around 20 minutes or so. Stir and flip the tofu often to get it crispy on all sides.
- While the tofu is cooking, make a batch of this homemade orange sauce.
- When the tofu is crispy on all sides, add the orange sauce and heat 2 - 3 minutes, until bubbly and coated.
- Serve the orange tofu over white rice, and top with green onions and sesame seeds. Salt to taste.
Alternative ways to cook the tofu
- In an air fryer: (no cornstarch needed) . Spray your air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the cubed tofu inside, then spray the tops again with more spray. Air fry the tofu at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, checking to shake around every 5 minutes or so, until crispy
- In the oven: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tofu cubes on it. Spray with olive oil spray and bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, flipping at least once, until desired crispiness is achieved.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 157mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g