This crispy teriyaki tofu with sticky sweet homemade teriyaki is better than takeout! Serve with rice and optional broccoli for a delicious weeknight vegan dinner.
Teriyaki Tofu is a vegan dinner recipe that not only looks impressive, but tastes amazing!
Crispy tofu triangles are drenched in sticky sweet homemade teriyaki sauce and served with rice and optional steamed broccoli.
It really is so easy to make homemade takeout style dinners at home.
This tofu recipe will be one of your new favorite dinners!
How to make Teriyaki Tofu
Step 1: drain and press a block of extra firm tofu for at least 30 minutes.
If you do not have a tofu press, simply wrap the tofu block in a dish towel and place something heavy on top of it (I use a cast iron skillet).
Step 2: Cut the tofu into triangles.
See the picture above for how I cut my tofu block into bite sized pieces.
Getting the tofu crispy
Once the tofu is cut up, spray an air fryer basket with olive oil spray, then place the tofu inside.
Spray the tops again with more spray.
If you do not have an air fryer, I will include alternate cooking instructions in the recipe card below, but this is my favorite way to cook tofu!
Cooking tofu in the air fryer gets it SO crispy with a fraction of the oil you would normally use.
Step 3: Cook the tofu until crispy, around 15 – 20 minutes.
Flip and stir once or twice, and check the tofu to make sure it does not burn.
making the homemade teriyaki sauce
Step 4: While the tofu is cooking, make the homemade teriyaki sauce.
This sauce is so easy to make and comes together in minutes.
In a sauce pan, combine the soy sauce, orange juice, water, brown sugar, fresh ginger, and minced garlic. Heat the sauce until the brown sugar dissolves, around 5 minutes.
In a bowl, mix together the corn starch and cold water to make the slurry.
This is what helps get the sauce to the desired thickness. Add the corn starch slurry to the teriyaki sauce and whisk or stir for 3 – 5 minutes, as the sauce thickens.
This teriyaki sauce is fool proof and so yummy!
If you have never made homemade teriyaki before, you will be surprised just how easy and delicious it is.
Step 5: Once the tofu and sauce are done, add them together to a skillet and heat for around 5 minutes, until the tofu is coated in the sauce.
What to serve with teriyaki tofu
Serve the teriyaki tofu over white rice, or steam up some vegetables on the side.
Cauliflower rice, brown rice, or stir fry noodles would also be delicious.
Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, or sugar snap peas would be a nice complement to the tofu.
This recipe is very saucy, and would be delicious alone or with vegetables on the side.
If you like a lot of sauce with your dish, you may prefer the tofu alone with a bed of sticky rice!
I roasted frozen broccoli to go along side of the teriyaki tofu and it was amazing.
Garnish the tofu with sesame seeds and green onions on top.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
For the tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- olive oil spray
for the teriyaki sauce
- 1 batch of this homemade teriyaki sauce
- white rice
- broccoli (optional)
- sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- Drain and press tofu for 30 minutes. If you do not have a tofu press, wrap the tofu in a dish towel and place something heavy on top
- Once tofu is pressed, cut it into triangles (see picture in post for how I did this)
- Next step is to cook the tofu, if you do not have an air fryer, see the notes section below for alternate cooking methods.
- Spray your air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the tofu triangles inside, then spray the tops again with more spray
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes, checking to shake around every 5 minutes or so, until crispy
- While the tofu is cooking, make the teriyaki sauce
- Once the tofu and teriyaki sauce are finished, mix them together in a skillet
- Cook over medium high heat for around 5 minutes, until tofu is coated and sticky and sauce is bubbling
- Serve with rice and optional broccoli or other vegetables
- Garnish with white sesame seeds and sliced green onions
If you do not have an air fryer, here are additional ways to cook the tofu.
- In a skillet: Once the tofu is pressed/diced, toss it with 1 - 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, or enough to coat the tofu. Then pan fry with olive oil until golden on all sides, around 20 or so minutes
- In the oven: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tofu cubes on it. Spray with olive oil spray and bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, flipping at least once, until desired crispiness is achieved.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1555mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 18g
nutritional information does not include rice