This Cabbage Stir Fry recipe with ramen noodles is absolutely delicious! Top with sweet chili sauce for a dinner that will rival your favorite takeout.
This cabbage stir fry is so delicious!
It’s no secret that I have a love for homemade stir fry recipes and this cabbage stir fry is one that I find myself making again and again.
Stir fry is one of our favorite types of dinners to make. This recipe that I am sharing today is just 10 ingredients and so easy to make. Everyone who tries it raves about how good it is!
You can find the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here is what you’ll need to make this recipe.
Cabbage Stir Fry Ingredients
- ramen noodles: flavor packets discarded
- thinly sliced green cabbage: or substitute purple cabbage
- minced fresh ginger: minced
- fresh garlic: minced
- grated carrots: grate them yourself or save time and buy pre shredded carrots in the produce section
- yellow onion: diced
- sesame oil
- stir fry sauce: this homemade 3 ingredient recipe is the best!
- sweet chili sauce, for topping
Can I make this gluten free?
If you are gluten free, you can make this recipe gluten free by using brown rice ramen noodles! The texture is slightly different, but I have used them before and they are still good.
How to make Cabbage Stir Fry
Step 1: Remove the core from a green cabbage and thinly slice the cabbage until you measure 5 cups worth.
The core is tough, so we don’t want to use that part of the cabbage in this recipe. Try to slice it as thinly as possible for best texture.
Tip: to save time, some readers have noted that they buy bags of coleslaw mix at the store to use for this recipe with great results!
Step 2: Grate the carrots and finely mince the ginger and garlic. These are what give stir fry that next level flavor.
If you have never bought fresh ginger in the store, just look for it in your produce section. It comes in long knobs which look like roots.
To prepare your ginger, just cut off the peeling with a knife, then slice and dice until the ginger is in very small minced pieces.
You can also use the back of a spoon to scrape off the peel, it takes a little bit longer, but often yields more ginger.
Step 3: Peel and dice up a yellow onion. Once all of your vegetables are prepped, it is time to start cooking the stir fry.
Step 4: In a large skillet or jumbo cooker combine the cabbage, ginger, garlic, carrots, onion, and 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
You do not need a wok to make this recipe, any large skillet type pan will work!
Step 5: Turn the heat to medium high and stir often, until the cabbage is wilted and the onion is soft as pictured below. This will take around 15 – 20 minutes.
Stir every few minutes to make sure the vegetables cook evenly. This will cook the cabbage down until it is nice and soft.
Step 6: When the veggies are close to being done cooking, prepare the ramen noodles. These only take a few minutes to make. Discard the ramen noodle packets, you don’t need those. Cook the ramen noodles according to the package instructions, then drain.
Step 7: Make the 3 ingredient stir fry sauce and shake all the ingredients together. This is the sauce that I use in every stir fry recipe that I make, it is so easy and always tastes amazing! A good sauce is important to any homemade stir fry recipe.
Step 8: Once the ramen noodles are cooked, add them to the cabbage stir fry.
Pour the homemade stir fry sauce over the top. It won’t look like much sauce at first, but the flavor is very strong and will work just right for the amount of ingredients in this recipe.
It is a highly concentrated sauce, so the little bit goes a long way.
Cook the cabbage stir fry for an additional 3 – 5 minutes, stirring well, until the sauce coats the entire stir fry. The cornstarch part of the sauce is what will cause it to thicken and start to coat the ingredients of the stir fry.
Just keep mixing until all of the veggies and noodles are coated.
I find tongs to work best for mixing the noodles evenly into the vegetables. Everything is going to stick together in clumps at first.
From here you can taste and add more soy sauce (if you like a saltier stir fry), or you’re ready to eat!
Grab a bowl and serve up this cabbage stir fry! This makes a very large amount and the leftovers are just as good heated up the next day.
I love using ramen noodles in stir fry and they’re perfect in this one.
Cabbage Stir Fry FAQs
You do not need to wash cabbage before cooking if the outer leaves cover the whole head of the cabbage.
Yes, remove several layers of the outer leave of cabbage and discard them. Remove any cabbage leaves that are wilted or have debris before you cut the cabbage.
First, cut the stem off of the cabbage. Cut the cabbage from each of the four sides, discarding the core. Cut each piece into thin strips.
It takes around 15-20 minutes to stir fry cabbage in a skillet.
How to serve & store
Serving: This cabbage stir fry is best served with sweet chili sauce on top. You can also add protein of choice, such as tofu, chicken, beef, or plant-based meat.
Storing: leftover cabbage stir fry can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
looking for more cabbage recipes? Be sure to try this easy instant pot cabbage!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 9 oz ramen noodles (flavor packets discarded)
- 5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- ¼ cup minced fresh ginger
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
For the sauce
- 1 batch of this stir fry sauce
- sweet chili sauce to taste
- Remove the core from a green cabbage and thinly slice 5 cups worth of cabbage
- Dice the yellow onion and mince the fresh garlic and ginger
- Grate the carrots
- Add the sliced cabbage, ginger, garlic, carrots, onion, and sesame oil to a large skillet or jumbo cooker
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring often, for 15 - 20 minutes, or until cabbage is wilted and onion is softened
- In the last 5 minutes of cook time, prepare the ramen noodles according to package instructions
- Once the cabbage stir fry is done, add in the cooked ramen noodles and homemade stir fry sauce (recipe linked in the recipe ingredients)
- Cook for 3 - 5 minutes until well coated and combined
- Add soy sauce to taste, if desired (I did not add any more)
- Serve stir fry topped with sweet chili sauce
1. I used organic ramen noodles, so it was a total of 8.4 oz. If using regular ramen most are 3 oz each so you would need 3 blocks.
This stir fry is intended to be topped with sweet chili sauce. It's the perfect slightly sweet and spicy contrast to the mild bitterness of the cabbage. Don't skip this!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 103mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g