This adorable pumpkin cheese ball is the perfect appetizer for fall, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. Serve with your favorite crackers and it will be the hit of the party!
Making a homemade cheese ball is one of my favorite things to do during the holidays.
This pumpkin shaped cheese ball is not only adorable, but it’s really a cinch to make. You need just a few classic cheese ball ingredients and some rubber bands to make this fun appetizer!
The first time I made a homemade cheese ball I fell in love. It is so good won’t be able to stop at just one dip!
During fall we are serving up all the pumpkin things, so why not serve a pumpkin shaped appetizer too?
Ingredients to make a pumpkin shaped cheese ball
- cream cheese
- chive and onion cream cheese spread
- spices: salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- sharp cheddar cheese: freshly grated
- a stem from a bell pepper
How to make a pumpkin Cheese Ball
Step 1: Beat together the softened cream cheese block, chive & onion spread, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1 ¼ cups of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese until well combined.
Note: do not use pre packaged cheese for a cheese ball. When you grate it yourself the cheese will stick better to the outside of the ball and the packaged stuff will not work as well.
Step 2: Place a double layer of cling wrap out on the counter, long enough to wrap the cheese ball in.
Sprinkle ⅓ cup of cheddar cheese onto the cling wrap where the bottom of the cheese ball will sit. Place the cheese ball batter onto the cheese.
Step 3: Use the remaining shredded cheese on the top and sides to cover the cheese ball.
Wrap up the cheese ball in the cling wrap.
Step 4: Use thick rubber bands to double wrap the cheese ball into a pumpkin shape as pictured below.
You will want to make sure they are sturdy rubber bands to ensure the ball gets the indents in it.
Step 5: Chill the cheese ball in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or overnight), then remove the rubber bands.
Cut a bell pepper stem off and place it on top of the cheese ball.
What to serve with a cheese ball
Crackers are best for serving with a cheese ball. I like to serve with a variety so that people can pick their favorites!
Ritz crackers, club crackers, triscuits, wheat thins, pita crisps all would be delicious with this creamy cheese ball.
Cheese ball is one of my favorite appetizers that looks so impressive but is really easy to make.
This fun pumpkin shaped one is perfect for the cool weather months and is sure to impress your guests!
Not to mention it is absolutely delicious. If you haven’t tried a fresh homemade cheese ball you are in for a treat!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Next time you are asked to bring an appetizer to Thanksgiving, make this pumpkin shaped cheese ball!
I love that it is make ahead and I can throw it together in just a few minutes and have it in the fridge ready to go.
It’s simple, delicious, and will be the hit of the party.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 7.5 oz container of chive & onion cream cheese spread
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, fresh grated, divided
- 1 stem from a bell pepper
- Beat together the softened cream cheese, chive & onion spread, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1 ¼ cups of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place a double layer of cling wrap out on the counter, long enough to wrap the cheese ball in
- Sprinkle ⅓ cup of cheese onto the cling wrap where the bottom of the cheese ball will sit
- Place the cheese ball mixture over the cheese, then use the remaining shredded cheese on the top and sides to cover the cheese ball
- Wrap the cheese ball up in the cling wrap and press to form a ball shape
- Use thick rubber bands to double wrap the cheese ball into a pumpkin shape (see the pictures in the post for how to do this)
- Chill the cheese ball in the fridge for at least 2 hours, then remove the rubber bands
- Top your pumpkin cheese ball with a bell pepper stem and serve with crackers of choice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g