These best ever veggie enchiladas you will ever eat.
These fool proof vegetarian enchiladas are so good you will lick your plate clean!
Healthy vegetarian enchiladas full of fresh veggies and baked to crispy perfection!
This week I decided to use some leftover enchilada sauce to whip up some vegetarian enchiladas for dinner.
I’d been craving mexican and wanted to switch it up from our regular burritos.
Little did I know that it would be my best recipe creation yet!
I named these the best ever veggie enchiladas, because…well.. they are the BEST enchiladas I’ve ever eaten. I cannot wait for you to try these!
These vegetarian enchiladas have now become a staple in our house, and we fight over the leftovers!
How to make the best veggie enchiladas
First, cook your garlic, onion, and bell pepper until the onion is translucent.
Add in frozen corn and cook a few more minutes while it defrosts.
Next, add beans, cream cheese, mexican cheese, spices, and fresh lime juice.
Keep stirring and cooking while the flavors all start to marry together.
Salt and pepper to taste and you are ready to start rolling your enchiladas!
Tip for easier enchilada rolling: nuke your tortillas in the microwave until they are warm (not hot).
If you try to roll cold tortillas, they often break. Warming them up first makes the process a lot easier!
Once you have rolled your enchiladas, place them in a large baking dish.
Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over them, then top with the rest of your mexican cheese and they are ready to bake!
Tips for the best flavor for your vegetarian enchiladas
The secret to the CRAZY awesome flavor of these enchiladas is in the filling!
I used cream cheese and a special blend of spices with a hit of fresh lime juice for that extra kick.
Do not leave out the lime juice! It adds so much fresh flavor.
My last tip for the best flavor, is to top your enchiladas once you are ready to eat them.
Squeeze extra fresh lime juice over the tops and serve with fresh avocado with each bite.
I have been known to squeeze a whole lime over the top of my two enchiladas!
The lime adds so much flavor, and the creamy avocado contrasts to the smoky flavor of the enchiladas and it will knock your socks off!
I just used store bought enchilada sauce (this is the one I buy) , but you could make your own homemade enchilada sauce if you wanted!
This post contains an affiliate link to the enchilada sauce that I use.
If you purchase through this link, I get a small commission to help run this blog, at no additional cost to you.
Once our enchiladas were crispy, we served them topped with more fresh lime juice and creamy sliced avocado.
It was so good I literally licked my plate (no shame!) and we were scraping pieces out of the pan.
I could eat these forever and never tire of how much flavor they have.
I promise if you are new to meatless eating, you will not even miss the meat!
I’ve been dreaming about the leftovers all day and am already planning to make these again next week!
what readers are saying about these vegetarian enchiladas
Don’t just take my word for how good these are! Here are just a few of the rave reviews these enchiladas have received so far.
From Sarah: “These are the best enchiladas I’ve ever eaten! I’m a new vegetarian and desperately seeking delicious recipes. Thanks so much!”
From Laura: “These are the BEST enchiladas!! I made them last night and had been dreaming of eating the leftovers for lunch ALL day, only to come home to find 1 enchilada left. My fiancé loved them too!”
From Justin: “I love this recipe! I just transitioned to eating just veggies and I love learning new recipes. Thank you!”
From Vanessa: “Made these last night…. so tasty!!! Even the kids loved them! I will definitely be making again soon.”
From Alicia: “My boyfriend recently became vegetarian and I’ve been searching for some good vegetarian recipes.
These were absolutely delicious and they will definitely be in our dinner rotation! One of the best recipes we’ve made in a while!”
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Be sure to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite.
Hungry for more vegetarian mexican recipes?
- Mexican Quinoa Enchilada Bake
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- 5 Minute Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Vegetarian Burrito Bowls
- 30 Minute Sweet Potato Refried Bean Nachos
- Easy Vegan Taco Bake
- 30 Minute Portobello Fajitas
- Vegetarian Mexican Rice Casserole
- Enchilada Tofu Burrito Bowls
Want to save this recipe for later on your Pinterest board? Click HERE to pin this recipe!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Best vegetarian enchiladas recipe:
The Best Ever Veggie Enchiladas
These black bean and veggie enchiladas are the most delicious vegetarian enchiladas you will ever eat!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced or finely diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mexican cheese
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 large lime, juiced, plus more for serving
- 8 oz enchilada sauce
- avocado, for serving
- Sea salt
- Combine onion, garlic, green pepper, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt and pepper in a large skillet
- Sautee on medium high heat for 6-8 minutes, until onion becomes translucent
- Add frozen corn kernels and sautee an additional 4-5 minutes, as corn defrosts
- Add drained beans, cream cheese, ½ cup shredded mexican cheese, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, and the juice of half a large lime
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I used an additional ½ teaspoon of each)
- Build enchiladas using filling and place in a baking dish
- Cover with enchilada sauce and remaining mexican cheese
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese becomes slightly crispy (turn up the heat if necessary towards the end for desired crisp) I broil on low the last couple of minutes to make the cheese browned, but if you do this be sure to watch closely so that you don't burn it.
- Serve topped with fresh lime juice and avocado slices
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through a link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you.