These easy tofu tacos with homemade tofu taco meat make the best vegetarian dinner recipe!
Mexican inspired meals are one of my favorite dinners since I became a vegetarian.
There are endless options like vegetarian stuffed peppers, mexican rice casserole, vegetarian enchiladas, and burrito bowls.
These tofu tacos are another great meatless dinner that comes together in minutes.
If you haven’t made tofu taco crumbles before, don’t be afraid!
This method is so easy that anyone can make it, whether or not you are a tofu newbie.
This smoky browned tofu taco meat is simply delicious and makes the perfect meat substitute.
Serve these tofu crumbles on any kind of taco with your favorite toppings!
Tofu Tacos Recipe Ingredients
- extra firm tofu: drained and patted dry. No pressing necessary!
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- taco seasoning
- soft or hard tacos
- toppings of choice: sour cream, cilantro, tomatoes, etc
How to make tofu taco meat
Step 1: Drain the extra firm tofu and pat it dry.
There is no need to press it.
Step 2: Heat the oil and soy sauce in a skillet.
Use your hands to crumble the tofu into the skillet, leaving some larger pieces for texture.
Sprinkle the taco seasoning packet over the crumbled tofu.
Step 3: Saute the tofu taco crumbles on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until browned and crispy on the edges.
Let the tofu sit in 2-3 minute increments throughout the cook time without stirring in order for it to brown and get those yummy crispy bits.
That’s it! It’s really such a cinch to throw together and so flavorful.
We serve these family style so that everyone can build their toppings of choice.
Topping Ideas for Tofu Tacos
- fresh diced tomatoes or avocado
- homemade salsa
- queso blanco
- fresh chopped cilantro
- chopped lettuce
- tamed jalapeños
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- sour cream
This was such an easy recipe to throw together for taco night and everyone loved it!
While I sometimes buy the meatless crumbles from the grocery store, this tofu taco meat was quite a nice change.
I prefer to use the taco seasoning packets vs making my own taco seasoning as I find it makes it taste more similar to ground beef taco meat.
If you have a great taco seasoning recipe you could also use that!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
More Tofu Recipes we love
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Other ways to serve Tofu Taco Crumbles
- Enchiladas: Roll this tofu meat up inside flour tortillas, top with enchilada sauce and shredded mexican cheese and bake at 350 until bubbly and melted.
- Tofu Nachos: Serve this up with tortilla chips covered in tofu crumbles, melted gooey cheese, and all the fixins on top
- Burrito Bowls: make a burrito bowl with rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice, fajita veggies, guac, and any other toppings of choice!
Try this recipe the next time you need a quick dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Gluten free, vegetarian or vegan friendly, and so yummy.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Tofu Taco Meat
These tofu tacos with homemade tofu taco meat are a delicious meatless meal ready in under 30 minutes!
- Soft or hard taco shells
For the tofu taco meat
- 14 oz extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry (no need to press it)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 packet (1 oz) taco seasoning
- sour cream
- pice de gallo
- avocado slices
- fresh lime juice
- Heat the oil and soy sauce in a large skillet
- Use your hands to crumble the tofu into the skillet. Leave some larger pieces for texture.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning packet over the tofu
- Saute on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until browned and crispy on the edges. Let the tofu sit in 2-3 minute increments throughout the cookstime without stirring in order for it to brown.
- Serve on soft taco shells with veggies and toppings of choice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 318mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information is for the tofu crumbles, and does not include the toppings or taco shell