Easy and delicious zucchini chocolate chip muffins made with simple, wholesome ingredients. This sweet and chocolatey muffin is sure to be a favorite in your house this summer!
Ah, zucchini. So abundant during the summer and so very versatile.
Zucchini is one of my favorite things to experiment with, because it can be anything from sweet to savory.
These zucchini chocolate chip muffins are sweet, but packed full of veggies.
It’s a fun change from our usual zucchini muffins recipe.
I’ll be indulging in these all August long!
how to make zucchini chocolate chip muffins
First, grate up your zucchini.
Do not peel first, just rinse off any dirt and wipe clean.
Once you have grated your zucchini, use a few paper towels to soak up some of the extra moisture.
We don’t want it to be soaking wet.
In a large bowl, combine your zucchini, eggs, vanilla, olive oil, applesauce, maple syrup, and chocolate chips.
In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and oats.
In your bowl of dry ingredients, make a well in the center.
Add your wet ingredients to the center of the well, and stir gently to combine.
I like to use a rubber spatula for this, as it mixes the best while still being gentle.
Be careful not to over mix your batter, as this will make for tougher muffins.
We are going for soft and moist!
Tips for muffins that don’t stick
Distribute batter into 12 muffin tins lined with parchment paper liners. I love these because the muffins don’t stick AT ALL.
If you haven’t tried them, you should.
No more muffins sticking to the liners!
I love them so much I bought 5 boxes at target just so that I wouldn’t run out for a long time.
I used enjoy life dairy free mini chocolate chips for these muffins, which means that they are totally dairy free.
Many of my recipes are dairy free just by habit, so this one is safe for all of you who don’t do dairy!
These zucchini chocolate chip muffins turned out even better than I hoped!
decadent, but not too sweet
full of healthy ingredients (hidden veggies for the win!)
perfect for breakfast, snack, OR dessert!
I’m so in love.
Muffins are one of my favorite baked goods because they are so versatile.
Breakfast? Heck yes!
Snack? Yes please!
Honestly, you can’t go wrong.
Make these healthy muffins for your family and watch them be devoured!
More Muffin recipes
- Vegan Banana Muffins
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Muffins
- Zucchini Bread Muffins
- Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana Bread Muffins
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Greek Yogurt Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Skinny Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Grate zucchini and use a paper towel to soak out some moisture. Repeat several times if necessary. We want the zucchini not to be dripping wet.
- In a bowl, add zucchini, beaten eggs, vanilla, olive oil, applesauce, maple syrup, brown sugar and chocolate chips. Stir well to combine.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and oats
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry
- Use a rubber spatula to stir until just combined (do not over mix)
- Line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners, or spray with cooking spray
- Distribute batter evenly into 12 muffin liners
- Sprinkle tops with additional chocolate chips
- Bake at 350 degrees for 24 - 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Store leftovers in the fridge
To make this recipe dairy free, just use dairy free chocolate chips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 264mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 7g