Learn how to make delicious Indonesian Vegan Mie Goreng at home.
Use ramen noodles, kecap manis, sweet chili sauce, and coleslaw to make this deliciously addictive dish!
Last week, I finally got around to making Mie Goreng for the first time by myself.
My Aunt and Uncle were missionaries years ago in Indonesia and brought back the recipe for this classic dish.
My mom made it a lot growing up and it was one of my favorite meals!
It’s so simple but the flavor is just crazy good. I decided I wanted to try my hand at it and make a vegan twist for the blog!
Tips for making mie goreng
These are the two most important ingredients when making Mei Goreng.
I was able to find both at my local little oriental grocery store. They last a long time too!
Kecap Manis and Sweet Chili Sauce
Kecap is a really thick soy sauce that’s essential for getting the flavor you need.
And you just can’t eat Mie Goreng without chilled sweet chili sauce on top!
You will most likely have to find Kecap online or at your oriental store.
There’s different brands of sweet chili sauce, I’ve seen some at walmart and my local grocery store as well.
Also key is sesame oil. I looked 3 places for toasted sesame oil and never found it, but normal sesame oil will work too.
I also love using liquid aminos in this dish. It’s a natural soy sauce alternative and perfect in Asian dishes.
This recipe is really simple to make, but impressive when you taste it! From start to finish, this can be ready in under 30 minutes!
First, start with a bunch of garlic and onion, then you just add coleslaw mix, ramen noodles, sauce, and you’re done!
Ramen noodles are necessary for the perfect texture here, so I do not recommend substituting another noodle.
They really soak up all the flavor. Other noodles really do not work as well.
I’ve tried to think of how to explain the flavor of Mie Goreng, but I just can’t.
It’s like a super flavorful, you can’t believe you just made it in your home dish.
It tastes like something you’d order takeout.
Speaking of takeout, here are some more oriental favorite recipes you might like!
Try making this for a weeknight meal! It’s easy to make and you’ll impress your family!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Vegan Mie Goreng Recipe
- 2 (14 oz) bags of coleslaw mix
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 10 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup Kecap Manis Soy Sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 packages of ramen noodles (discard seasoning packets)
- Sweet Chili sauce
- Combine garlic and onion in a large skillet with 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- Sautee on medium-high heat, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, or until onions start to brown
- Add the two bags of coleslaw, ⅛ cup kecap, and 3 tablespoons of liquid aminos. Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes
- Add 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cook ramen noodles in water, according to directions (throw away spice packets)
- Once noodles are cooked, add them to the skillet mixture
- Add an additional ⅛ cup of kecap and stir everything together well.
- Serve with additional liquid aminos (if necessary - I didn't add any extra) and top with chilled sweet chili sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 2079mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g