You can’t go wrong with this cranberry apple crisp recipe. Made with seasonal apples and cranberries, it’s perfect for holiday gatherings!
It’s that time of year again: the time of fresh cranberries!
And this cranberry apple crisp is the most delicious winter twist on the classic favorite apple crisp.
Fresh cranberries are perfectly tart and juicy, and one of my favorite things to bake with every fall and winter.
How to make cranberry apple crisp
Step 1: add the ingredients for the filling to a bowl. You will need: fresh cranberries, around 5 cups of diced apple chunks, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon.
While you are making the crisp topping, it will give the filling time to marinate.
By the time 5 – 10 minutes have passed and you stir it again, it will have absorbed the cornstarch and sugar mostly.
Step 2: After you are done with the filling, get another bowl to make the crisp topping.
To a bowl, add the brown sugar, walnut flour, oat flour, rolled oats, and salt. Whisk until combined. Pour the melted coconut oil and butter over the top of the other crisp ingredients. Stir until the topping is well combined.
This crisp topping is easy to make and naturally gluten free for any family members you might have.
For a little extra nutty flavor, I added walnut ‘flour’ to this recipe.
Just like in my cranberry blueberry crisp, I grind up walnuts into flour and add it to the crisp topping.
You can also substitute pecans here in place of walnuts if you would like.
Step 3: Stir the crisp filling one last time, then pour it into a baking dish, or pie pan like I used. Distribute the crisp topping evenly over the filling.
Step 4: Bake the cranberry apple crisp at 350 degrees for 55 – 60 minutes, or until the top is nice and browned and begins to crisp up.
Serve the cranberry apple crisp hot with vanilla ice cream.
This crisp has all the flavors of fall, and is sweet and cinnamon-y without being too sweet.
It was gone so fast in our house!
More crisp recipes
Check out some of my other crisp recipes below!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
For the Cranberry Apple Crisp Filling
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
- 5 medium apples, chopped into chunks (around 5 cups worth)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the Crisp Topping
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup walnuts, ground into flour
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ¾ cups rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup butter or vegan butter, melted
- Add cranberries, apple chunks, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon to a bowl
- Stir to combine the filling
- To a separate bowl, add the brown sugar, walnut flour, oat flour, rolled oats, and salt.
- For the walnuts, simply grind them in a blender until flour texture. You can use pecans as a substitute also
- Whisk together all ingredients to combine
- Pour on the melted coconut oil and butter, then stir until mixture is combined
- Stir crisp filling one last time, then transfer to a small baking dish (I used a pie plate)
- Top filling with the crisp topping, and spread it evenly over the top
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 - 60 minutes, until top is browned and bubbly
- Serve with vanilla ice cream
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 4gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g