You can’t go wrong with this cranberry apple crisp recipe. Full of juicy fresh apples and cranberries! An easy and tasty gluten free dessert for the holidays.
It’s that time of year again – the time of fresh cranberries!
Over the last few years, I have fallen in love with fresh cranberries.
Every October I am anxiously stalking the stores to see when I can get my hands on the first bag.
Lucky for me, I did my Thanksgiving photoshoot last week, and found my first fresh cranberries of the season at Walmart of all places!
Fresh cranberries are perfectly tart and juicy, and one of my favorite things to bake with every fall and winter.
How to make cranberry apple crisp
This apple cranberry crisp is very simple to make!
First, you will add the ingredients for the filling to a bowl.
You will need: fresh cranberries, around 5 cups of diced apple chunks, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon.
Do this step first, and stir to combine.
While you are making the crisp topping, it will give the filling time to get all combined.
By the time 5 – 10 minutes have passed and you stir it again, it will have absorbed the cornstarch and sugar mostly.
After you are done with the filling, get another bowl to make the crisp topping.
This crisp topping is easy to make and naturally gluten free (but still gets crispy!)
For a little extra nutty flavor, I added walnut ‘flour’ to this recipe.
Just like in my cranberry blueberry crisp, I grind up walnuts into flour and add it to the crisp topping.
You can also substitute pecans here, like I did in the cranberry blueberry crisp.
To a bowl, add the brown sugar, walnut flour, oat flour, rolled oats, and salt.
Whisk until combined.
Pour the melted coconut oil and vegan butter over the top of the other crisp ingredients.
Stir until topping is well combined.
You are ready to assemble!
Stir the crisp filling one last time, then pour it into a baking dish, or pie pan like I used.
Distribute the crisp topping evenly over the filling.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55 – 60 minutes, or until the top is nice and browned and begins to crisp up.
Serve the crisp hot with cool vanilla ice cream (vegan, to keep it dairy free).
This crisp has all the flavors of fall, and is sweet and cinnamon-y without being too sweet.
It was gone so fast in our house!
I love crisp recipes because they are so easy to make, and taste incredible with vanilla ice cream.
If you have never made a crisp before, you must try it!
It’s a dessert that looks like a lot of work was involved, but really it’s so simple.
Check out some of my other crisp recipes below!
- Best Vegan Apple Crisp
- Cranberry Blueberry Crisp
- Easy Peach Crisp
- Strawberry Crisp
- Vegan Blueberry Peach Crisp
Looking for more delicious ways to cook with fresh cranberries?
Here are some reader favorites!
- Healthy Cranberry Sauce
- White Chocolate Cranberry Eggnog Bread
- Healthy Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Butter
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Cranberry Blueberry Crisp
- Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Did you make this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag us on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe photos!
Be sure to follow Build Your Bite for all the latest delicious vegan and vegetarian recipes!
Click HERE to pin this recipe for later!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Cranberry Apple Crisp Recipe:
For the Filling
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 5 medium apples, chopped into chunks (around 5 cups worth)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, ground into flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- Add cranberries, apple chunks, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon to a bowl
- Stir to combine the filling
- To a separate bowl, add the brown sugar, walnut flour, oat flour, rolled oats, and salt.
- For the walnuts, simply grind them in a blender until flour texture. You can use pecans as a substitute also
- Whisk together all ingredients to combine
- Pour on the melted coconut oil and vegan butter, then stir until mixture is combined
- Stir crisp filling one last time, then transfer to a small baking dish (I used a pie plate)
- Top filling with the crisp topping, and spread it evenly over the top
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 - 60 minutes, until top is browned
- Serve with vanilla ice cream!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 186mg Carbohydrates: 60g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 34g Protein: 4g