This cheesy brussels sprouts recipe makes the perfect holiday dish! Roasted brussels are baked in a rich cheese sauce until browned and delicious.
Brussels Sprouts gratin is a holiday dish that you never knew you needed, but can’t live without.
Brussel sprouts are one vegetable that you know you should eat more of, but quite frankly may not want to.
Enter this incredible recipe. When you taste one bite of these cheesy brussels sprouts you will understand why they are now a family favorite recipe.
Ingredients to make brussels sprouts gratin
- fresh brussels sprouts: frozen brussels will not work in this recipe
- yellow onion and fresh garlic: a must have for flavor
- heavy cream: to make the rich creamy sauce for the brussel sprouts
- fresh grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper: to taste
How to make brussels sprouts gratin
Step 1: Prepare a pound of brussels sprouts.
Cut off the ends, and remove any shriveled outer leaves from each brussel.
Cutting the brussels sprouts into pieces
Step 2: Cut each brussel sprout into thirds, as pictured below.
You could cut them in half, but I love that they get an even yummier texture when super thin like this!
Step 3: Place the brussel sprouts in a small baking dish and spray with olive oil.
Roast the brussels at 400 degrees for around 20 minutes, until softened.
Making the cheese sauce
Step 4: While your brussels are roasting, it’s time to make that yummy cheese sauce!
Cook the garlic and onion until softened, then stir in some heavy cream, half of the fresh grated sharp white cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper to form the cheese sauce.
Step 5: When the brussels have finished cooking, pour the white cheddar cream sauce over the top and sprinkle on the remaining sharp white cheddar cheese.
Baking the brussels sprouts gratin in the oven
Step 6: Bake the cheesy brussels sprouts again for around 15 minutes, or until the top is a delicious crust of bubbly browning cheese!
This is a great side for dinner and I promise even if you have never liked brussels sprouts, you will go crazy after tasting one bite.
This just may be your new favorite Thanksgiving recipe!
More side dish recipes
- Brussels Sprouts Chips
- Cheesy Cauliflower
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Creamed Corn Recipe
- Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- Famous Crispy Potato Casserole
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Cheesy Brussel Sprouts
This brussels sprouts gratin recipe makes the perfect holiday dish! These cheesy brussel sprouts are always a hit.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Cut off the ends of the brussels sprouts and remove outer leaves
- Cut each brussel into thirds, or in half for small ones (see pictures in the post for reference)
- Place sliced brussels sprouts in a small baking dish and spray with olive oil
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
- While the brussels sprouts are cooking, add the fresh garlic and onion to a skillet with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Cook over medium high heat for 5 - 10 minutes, until the onion is soft
- Add the heavy cream, ½ cup of the white cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper and stir to combine
- Pour the cheese sauce over the brussels sprouts
- Top with remaining ½ cup of cheese
- Bake the cheesy brussel sprouts at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the top is browned and bubbly
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 513mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Friday 18th of November 2022
I love Brussel Sprouts, but usually just roast them. So when I saw this recipe I knew I had to give it a try. Had high hopes and WOW did this recipe deliver!! It exceeded any expectation I had and seriously made my taste buds dance. Definitely recommend trying this recipe!!!