Cheesy cauliflower is the best low carb side dish. Cauliflower florets are baked with homemade cheese sauce until golden brown ton top. Perfect side dish for a weeknight dinner or the holidays!
Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables and is a fantastic low carb star that can take on many flavors.
This homemade cheesy baked cauliflower is so incredibly delicious that even kids will eat their veggies!
First you start out with roasted cauliflower, then top it with a homemade easy cheese sauce, and top with a little more cheese on top to get that incredible browned cheese at the end!
Ingredients to make cheesy cauliflower
- cauliflower: fresh cauliflower is best here. Frozen would not work the same way.
- milk: the recipe calls for 2% milk, but whole milk would work also.
- cornstarch: to thicken the cheese sauce
- spices (garlic, onion, basil, oregano, paprika, salt)
How to make cheesy cauliflower
Step 1: chop up one head of cauliflower into bite sized florets. Place the cauliflower into a small baking dish, and spray with olive oil spray. Bake the cauliflower at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Making the cheese sauce
Step 2: while the cauliflower is baking, it is time to make the homemade cheese sauce.
To make the cheese sauce, simply add the milk, cornstarch, cheddar cheese, and all spices to a saucepan.
Stir with a spoon or whisk over medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes, until the sauce is thickened.
Step 3: Once the cheese sauce is done and the cauliflower has finished baking for 10 minutes, remove it from the oven. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower florets. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and the shredded mozzarella cheese.
This extra cheese on top is what will give us those yummy browned cheesy bits on top.
Step 4: Bake the cheesy cauliflower casserole at 400 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbly and begins to brown. Serve immediately!
If you struggle to get your kids to eat their veggies, this is a great recipe to try.
My very picky 4 year old had seconds of this and in his own words “didn’t even want to stop eating it.”
This cheesy casserole would also make a great different side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any holiday.
More veggie side dishes
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 oz block of fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Place cauliflower florets in a baking dish and spray with olive oil spray
- Bake the cauliflower at 400 degrees for 10 minutes
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the cheese sauce.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, paprika, salt, milk, cornstarch, and 2 cups of cheddar cheese to a medium sized saucepan (you will use all of the cheddar in the sauce, except for ½ cup saved for the top of the dish)
- Cook the cheese sauce over medium heat for 5 - 10 minutes, whisking or stirring often, until thickened
- After the cauliflower has cooked for 10 minutes, remove it from the oven and pour the cheese sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheddar and ½ cup of mozzarella cheese over the top
- Bake the cheesy cauliflower at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown on top and is bubbly
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 414mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g