Lightened up easy cheddar cheese sauce made with just 6 ingredients. Perfect for pouring over veggies!
If you’ve ever poured cheese out of a jar to get your kids to eat more veggies, this recipe is for you!
Today we’re making lightened up homemade cheddar cheese sauce that is:
- Ready in less than 10 minutes
- only 6 ingredients
- Made naturally lower calorie + gluten free
No funny ingredients or junk, just good old homemade cheese sauce.
For this recipe, I used 2% milk in place of heavy cream or other higher fat milk.
You can’t taste the difference and it still gets thick thanks to cornstarch (<— which also keeps it gluten free!)
Just heat all the ingredients on the stove for 10 minutes or less, the longer you stir the thicker it will get when heated.
The paprika is totally optional, and does not make it spicy, but I like that little extra something something it gives.
If you have super picky eaters, just leave it out for a super mild cheese sauce.
Pour over your veggie of choice and call it a win when your kids are eating their veggies without a fight.
Let me know how your kids like this one and leave me a comment below!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
More recipes you might like:
- Oven Roasted Frozen Broccoli
- 5 Minute Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots
- Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Potatoes
Pin this easy cheddar cheese sauce:
Easy Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and stir on medium heat until to desired thickness (around 5 - 10 minutes)
- Pour over vegetables of choice!