These simple refried bean enchiladas are healthy vegetarian dinner. Made with homemade refried beans and mushrooms and topped with enchilada sauce and mexican cheese.
Mexican inspired meals are one of my favorite things to make.
Last week I had some ingredients that I needed to use up: mexican cheese, tortillas, and some enchilada sauce, so I decided to create a fun twist on enchiladas!
These Refried Bean Enchiladas take no time at all to throw together and look seriously impressive.
Mushrooms are by far my favorite veggie to use, but any veggie would work well in this recipe.
Try substituting summer squash or bell peppers for more fun flavors!
The filling for these enchiladas is so easy to make.
How to make refried bean enchiladas:
I made a batch of my Homemade Refried Beans to pair with the sauteed mushrooms and onion. When you make the refried beans for this recipe, drain off almost all of the liquid from the can.
This will make the refried beans super thick, which is perfect for these enchiladas. The less liquid the better or you will end up with overly soggy enchiladas.
We topped ours with lime juice squeezed on the top and fresh avocado slices. Do not skip this step as it really brings out all of the flavors. The fresh lime is key, and the avocado is a great contrast of flavor.
These enchiladas reheat very well in the oven and I had leftovers for lunch the next two days. It works better to reheat enchiladas in the oven as it keeps them from getting too soft.
8 enchiladas fit perfectly for me in a 9 X 13 casserole dish. You just want to make sure the enchiladas can lay flat and are not too scrunched up, or they may not bake correctly and get soggy.
Use multiple pans if you need to.
I was very impressed with how delicious they were with so little prep work.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe pictures.
More meatless mexican recipes:
- 5 minute nacho cheese sauce
- Homemade refried beans
- 30 Minute Vegan Portobello Fajitas
- Ultimate Vegan Quesadillas
- Mexican Quinoa Enchilada Bake
- The best Guacamole recipe
pin these refried bean enchiladas:
Refried Bean Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 batch 5 Minute Homemade Refried Beans
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 large whole wheat tortillas (9")
- 8 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 ⅓ cup shredded mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook one batch of 5 Minute Homemade Refried Beans and set aside. Drain most of the liquid from the beans, as we want these to be super thick for this recipe.
- In a skillet, sautee mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, cumin, and olive oil on medium high heat
- Cook mushroom mixture for 10-15 minutes, or until mushrooms have cooked down and released and cooked off their liquid (drain if water does not evaporate)
- Microwave tortillas until warm. Do this prior to filling to help the tortillas not crack when rolling.
- In each tortilla, add a thin layer of refried beans spread down the middle and ⅛ of the mushroom mixture
- Roll tortillas and arrange in a 9 X 13 baking dish
- Once all tortillas are prepared, drizzle enchilada sauce evenly over the top and smooth out to cover the enchiladas
- Sprinkle the top with mexican cheese
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until the top starts to crisp (I like to broil mine for a few minutes at the end to get a little extra crisp)
- Serve with fresh lime juice squeezed on top and sliced avocado
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 589mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g