Green Bean Casserole is a staple for the holidays, and a must have for your Thanksgiving dinner. This simple recipe dresses up the classic favorite green beans with cream of mushrooms using fresh ingredients to take the flavor to the next level. This side dish is always a hit!
Green Bean Casserole is a staple side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.
A classic favorite, it is traditionally made with french style green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and topped with golden brown crunchy french fried onions.
Today, I am sharing an easy green bean casserole recipe that packs that extra flavor that takes the dish from good to great!
This recipe is semi homemade, but uses a few special ingredients to really amp up the flavor.
More Thanksgiving side dishes: Funeral Potatoes, Creamed Corn, Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream, Sweet Potato Casserole, Ritz Cracker Broccoli Casserole, Creamy Garlic Mushrooms, Roasted Garlic Butter Carrots.
How to make green bean casserole
To really make this casserole taste like you spent all day in the kitchen, we are adding in a mix of fresh sliced mushrooms, onion, and minced garlic.
Fresh mushrooms in green bean casserole taste amazing!
Add the minced garlic, thinly sliced onion, and mushrooms to a skillet along with butter.
Cook over medium high heat until the mushrooms have released their liquid and cooked down.
Drain the liquid from 4 cans of french style green beans.
Once your mushrooms have cooked down, add them to a bowl with with green beans and cream of mushroom soup, then stir to combine.
Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish, and add the green bean filling to it.
Top with one cup of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese.
This really adds a little something extra to the topping!
Bake the green bean casserole at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until bubbly.
Remove from the oven and top with one container of french fried onions.
If you really love french fried onion topping, feel free to double it.
You really can’t have too many crunchy golden brown french fried onions!
Bake the casserole an additional 5 minutes, until the french fried onions are crispy and golden.
Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Green Bean Casserole is so delicious, and your family will love this creamy casserole with crunchy topping.
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4 cans (14.5 oz each) french style green beans, drained
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz french fried onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Add butter, mushrooms, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper to a skillet
- Cook mushroom mixture over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until mushrooms have cooked down and cooked off their liquid
- Drain the green beans
- In a bowl, stir together the drained green beans, cooked mushrooms and onions, and cream of mushroom soup
- Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish and transfer the green bean casserole to it
- Top with 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until bubbly
- Remove from oven and top with the french fried onions, and bake another 5 minutes, until golden brown
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 824mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g