Green Bean Casserole is a staple for the holidays, and a must have for your Thanksgiving dinner. This simple recipe dresses up the classic favorite green beans with cream of mushroom soup.
Green Bean Casserole is a staple side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.
A classic favorite, it is traditionally made with french style green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and topped with golden brown crunchy french fried onions.
Today, I am sharing an easy recipe that is packed with extra flavor that takes the dish from good to great!
This recipe is semi homemade, but uses a few special ingredients to really amp up the flavor.
More Thanksgiving side dishes: Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows, Funeral Potatoes, Creamed Corn, Cheesy Cauliflower, Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream, Sweet Potato Casserole, Ritz Cracker Broccoli Casserole, Creamy Garlic Mushrooms, Roasted Garlic Butter Carrots.
Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
- butter: to cook the vegetables in
- fresh garlic: fresh garlic really makes all the difference flavor wise!
- onion: onion in green bean casserole is a must
- sliced mushrooms
- french style canned green beans: my favorite kind of green beans to use for green bean casserole
- cream of mushroom soup: the classic
- sharp cheddar cheese: for the topping
- french fried onions: you simply can’t have green bean casserole without them!
- salt & pepper: to taste
To really make this casserole taste like you spent all day in the kitchen, we are adding in a mix of fresh sliced mushrooms, onion, and minced garlic.
Fresh mushrooms in green bean casserole taste amazing!
How to make green bean casserole
Step 1: Add the minced garlic, thinly sliced onion, and mushrooms to a skillet along with butter.
Cook over medium high heat until the mushrooms have released their liquid and cooked down.
Step 2: Drain the liquid from 4 cans of french style green beans.
Once your mushrooms have cooked down, add them to a bowl with with green beans and cream of mushroom soup, then stir to combine.
Step 3: Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish, and add the casserole filling to it. Top with one cup of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese.
This really adds a little something extra to the topping!
Step 4: Bake the french green bean casserole at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from the oven and top with one container of french fried onions.
If you really love french fried onion topping, feel free to double it. You really can’t have too many crunchy golden brown french fried onions!
Bake the casserole an additional 5 minutes, until the french fried onions are crispy and golden.
Remove from the casserole from the oven and serve hot.
This family favorite side dish is so delicious, and your family will love this creamy casserole with crunchy topping.
It’s a Thanksgiving must have, along with Maple Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Cream Pie, and Peanut Butter Pie for dessert!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
p.s. if you love green beans, be sure to check out this recipe for how to cook frozen green beans that taste amazing!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole with mushrooms and french fried onions is a staple for any holidays, and a must have for your Thanksgiving dinner!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4 cans (14.5 oz each) french style green beans, drained
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz french fried onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Add the butter, mushrooms, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper to a skillet
- Cook the mushroom mixture over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until mushrooms have cooked down and cooked off their liquid
- Drain the french style green beans
- In a bowl, stir together the drained green beans, cooked mushrooms and onions, and cream of mushroom soup
- Grease a 9 by 13 baking dish and transfer the green bean casserole to it
- Top with 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake the green bean casserole at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, until bubbly
- Remove from oven and top with the french fried onions, and bake another 5 minutes, until golden brown and crunchy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 824mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Saturday 19th of November 2022
This was SO GOOD. I was making a gluten free variation of this for a group friendsgiving, and really the only things I needed to look out for were the ingredients in the French fried onions and the cream of mushroom. Turned out my cream of mushroom contained wheat (ack!) so I whipped up my own homemade “creamy soup” base. The sautéed onions, mushrooms, and garlic were EVERYTHING in this recipe, and came in clutch with the mushroom flavor where I was missing it in my creamy soup. Great recipe! Worth the extra steps for that onion mixture!
Monday 21st of November 2022
So glad you enjoyed the recipe, Happy Thanksgiving!
Friday 18th of November 2022
A definite must have for your holiday spread! Loved this green bean casserole, especially the addition of fresh mushrooms, onion and garlic!