These cake mix sugar cookies are made using my favorite quick dessert hack – a box of cake mix. Top them with an easy homemade frosting and sprinkles and you have a delicious soft and chewy sugar cookie that everyone will love!
Cake mix sugar cookies are the best easy dessert!
If you have been around here long, you know my love for cake mix recipes of all kinds.
Using cake mix to make simple breads, muffins, cookies, and cookies bars is a great hack for when you are short on time but need something homemade.
Why we love these sugar cookies
- Great dessert for the holidays: Valentine’s Day, bake sales, birthdays, and more.
- They are so soft and chewy on the inside, and topped with a super simple homemade frosting.
- Customizable: Decorate them however you please as that’s the fun in sugar cookies. We love using funfetti or seasonal sprinkles!
Ingredients to make frosted cake mix sugar cookies
- yellow cake mix
- corn starch
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How to make cake mix sugar cookies
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Add the cake mix, eggs, melted butter, and cornstarch to a mixing bowl and mix the cookie dough batter until well combined.
Step 2: Roll the sugar cookie dough into balls and place on a baking sheet.
Step 3: Bake the cake mix sugar cookies at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
Step 4: Make the easy homemade frosting.
Mix together the softened butter and powdered sugar together until smooth. Add the milk and vanilla until the frosting is fluffy.
If you want to make these even simpler, just grab a tub of frosting from the baking aisle. If I have the time though I really like to top these with a simple homemade frosting!
Step 5: Frost the sugar cookies with the homemade frosting. Top with sprinkles or decoration of choice and enjoy!
Ideas for serving
- Valentine’s Day: top with pink and red sprinkles
- Christmas: top with red and green sprinkles or edible seasonal decorations
- Birthdays: funfetti sprinkles or sprinkles matching the party theme
- Halloween: orange, black, and purple sprinkles with candy eye balls
Odds are you probably have a box of cake mix in your pantry, and all the other ingredients in your kitchen already.
The next time you need an easy cookie recipe I hope you give these a try!
Serve them on a cute platter and they’ll disappear in minutes!
Be warned though – it’s hard to stop at just one sugar cookie. They are just too good!
Just look how thick and soft these sugar cookies are!
No one would ever guess that they came from a box, they just taste like regular yummy frosted sugar cookies.
My kids love to decorate sugar cookies especially at Christmas time, and this recipe is my go to as it’s so easy for them to help me make them!
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
For the sugar cookies
- 15 oz vanilla cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups Powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Add the cake mix, eggs, melted butter, and cornstarch to a mixing bowl and mix until well combined
- Roll the sugar cookie dough into balls and place on a baking sheet
- Bake the cake mix sugar cookies at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting
- Mix together the softened butter and powdered sugar together until smooth. Add the milk and vanilla until the frosting is fluffy
- Frost the cookies and top with optional sprinkles
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g