This Christmas Crack aka Saltine Cracker Toffee Candy is the most incredibly addicting holiday dessert! The perfect salty, sweet, and crunchy bark made with only 7 easy ingredients.
Christmas Crack is called that because it is SO good that you just won’t be able to stop at one piece.
Also known as saltine toffee candy, this recipe is a holiday classic and a must have along with Cinnamon Rolls.
It’s simple to make, and tastes amazing with or without toppings.
This stuff is pure heaven!
If you make just one new holiday dessert this year, it should be this one.
how to make Christmas crack
This recipe is a classic and is so simple to make, but looks impressive!
First, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Next, line a sleeve of saltine crackers on the parchment paper.
In a sauce pan, bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil.
Boil until thick, stirring constantly.
This mixture is the toffee layer, but no candy thermometer is required.
Pour the caramel toffee mixture over the top of the saltines, then spread evenly with a rubber spoon or spatula.
Bake for a few minutes until bubbly.
Once done, remove the saltines from the oven and sprinkle on a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips.
While the chips melt, toast your nuts for a few minutes in the oven if you are adding nuts to yours.
Once the chocolate chips have melted, use the back of a spoon to spread the chocolate layer out evenly.
The chocolate should be evenly spread to cover all of the crackers.
Now it’s time for toppings!
Or you can skip this step and put it right in the fridge.
The original version is amazing by itself!
I love using walnuts, pecans, flaked sea salt, and drizzled white chocolate.
But you can use whatever you want, the possibilities are endless!
More christmas crack toppings
- chopped heath bar
- toffee bits
- chopped Reese’s Cups
- chopped peanuts
- crushed oreos
Place the pan in the fridge or freezer until set, then break the saltine toffee candy into pieces.
This is really the most insanely good Christmas recipe and you have to try it!
If the leftovers aren’t gone in two seconds, store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer!
More Christmas Recipes You will love
- Ritz Cracker Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Pretzels
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- Pecan Pie Brownies
- Christmas Cookie Bars
- White Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Cookies
- Peanut Butter Truffles
- Cranberry Eggnog Bread
- No Bake Cookies
Are you making this recipe? I want to see! Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @buildyourbite and hashtag #buildyourbite with your recipe creations!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow Build Your Bite on Pinterest for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
christmas crack toffee candy recipe
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers (around 35)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 10 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
For Optional toppings
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts (unsalted)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans (unsalted)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- flaked sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and line up the saltine crackers in rows
- Melt butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil
- Boil 2 - 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick
- Pour over saltines and spread out evenly using a rubber spoon or spatula
- Bake at 350 degrees for 4 - 5 minutes, until browned but not burnt
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and wait 5 minutes
- After chocolate sits for 5 minutes, use the back of a spoon to spread it evenly across the crackers.
- If you are adding other toppings like crushed oreos, m&m's, chopped heath bits, etc, add them now while the chocolate is meted. If you are not topping your Christmas crack, you can skip the next few steps and place directly in the fridge to cool.
- While the chocolate sits, place the pecans and walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 5 - 7 minutes at 350 degrees if you are making them
- Sprinkle on the sea salt flakes, walnuts, and pecans
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave in 15-20 second intervals until smooth (be careful not to burn)
- Drizzle over the toffee candy
- Place christmas crack in the fridge or freezer until set, then break into pieces
- Store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container
If you use a salted topping in place of the nuts, skip the sea salt flakes as it may be too much salt
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g